You have known Kashmir as the Paradise on Earth. And as you push your itinerary a little further — you find more valleys and unprecedented thrill branching out of its celestial land. Tarsar Marsar trek is one such route canopied amongst the verdant valleys of Himalayas and the alpine tapestry. It is an amalgamation of indigo skies, moody boulders, vibrant meadows and enchanting water bodies swirling around.
Check into this action-packed Tarsar Marsar Kashmir trek plan weaved thoughtfully by AdventuRush. Each day flips through a series of must-see spots and pristinely covered ripples of the streams and ponds. Right before you approach the glacial lakes of Tarsar and Marsar, the enthralling steep up and down the strange trails take you by surprise.
- Explore the secrets of nature hidden down the daunting trails of Aru.
- Walk through the woods, stop by the Lidder River and sleep a night amidst a picturesque landscape.
- Experience the glacial taste of waters rushing through the Tarsar Lake.
- Steal a glimpse or more of Marsar Lake from atop the highest altitude of the trek.
Altitude: 2,426m | 3.5 hours drive
- Brace yourself for a 4-hour long drive through the winding roads that take you to Aru. On the first day of Tarsar Marsar trek, you see quintessential Kashmir valley as the car roars through the iconic Pahalgam. Take the left towards Aru, an uphill turn that slips into the stunning Lidder river.
- Upon reaching Aru, wind down and take a breather at the campsite while sipping a welcome drink. The trek leader will brief you about the upcoming adventure before you head for delicious dinner in the embrace of the valley.
Altitude: 2,426 m to 2,780 m | 6 hours drive | Distance: 11 kms
- Embark on the trail of the trek that opens in the jungle and runs for about 5 km. With its quaint wilderness cascading, the jungle unfolds a comfortable path for you to venture.
- After an exhilarating walk to the gorges, you see a wavy meadow stretching alongside a couple of river crossings. Stop and breathe a sigh as the winds dance their way through. Sip some glacial water that comes right from Tarsar lake if you may and commence your hike towards the campsite, looking upon the marvellous views. The Lidderwat campsite awaits you with evening snacks and drinks. Soak up to the refreshments and give your Tarsar Marsar Kashmir trek a brief pause.
Altitude: 2,780 m to 3,360 m | 5 hours | Distance: 6 kms
- The gradient of the day is moderate, with long hours of walking. At Nichnai Pass, we’ll stop for a short break; interestingly, this particular pass comes right after the river stream. There is a gradual ascent to the mountain; so, remember to stop regularly for hydration breaks and maintain a steady speed.
- The mountain descends steeply and rugged towards the lovely valley below. One will be delighted and happy as they stroll through this peaceful field. A vast expanse of mountains to the left and right can be seen as one looks around. Such is the beauty of nature that while one side of the mountain range would appear rugged, the other side is snow-capped.
- Campground can be arrived after a few kilometres of strolling, after crossing the river. The campground is close to the majestic Vishansar Lake’s water tributaries. After arriving at the campground, take your evening refreshments and unwind by the lake.
- This day of your Tarsar Marsar trek begins with an ascent that takes you to the higher surface introducing a sweeping view of the Lidderwat Valley. It’s a rather easy grade wherein your first climb is followed by the forest. Walk as you enjoy the glimpses of the jungle parallel to the Lidder River. You will walk towards Shekwas and find a treacherous boulder that alerts you to stay cautious. As you cross the enthralling path, the campsite welcomes you in and get you to wrap up this adventurous day of Tarsar Marsar trek on a good note.
Altitude: 3,360 m to 3,790 m | 5 hours | Distance: 5 kms
- Gear up as it is a longest and interesting, yet most difficult day of the journey. The incline ranges from easy to challenging. You will cross over the highest altitude of the trek, that is, Gadsar Pass standing tall at 4,200m. Early in the morning, your journey guide will set you up for the day. Within an hour of the journey, one will be able to see the trek’s first and finest feature. Look at Vishansar and Krishansar Lakes, two beautiful lakes that are peacefully and pleasantly situated next to one another. These two lakes, each of which has a distinct religious significance, both drain into the Kishanganga River, which flows through the Gurez Valley.
- After the lakes, the arduous ascent to Gadsar Pass begins. The path is short and steep, so you need to be cautious with the gradual ascent. The climb up the mountain takes about two hours. This route is where the majority of the breathtaking photos of the Kashmir Great Lakes Trek could be clicked. The meadow is wavy and breathtakingly placed between the two mountain stretches. There are various colourful blooms and plants, as well as lush greenery. The most vibrant part of this journey is the field.
- Soon after that, Gadsar Lake, a tranquil lake with a blue hue, will be visible on your left. Only the Kashmir Great Lakes Trek makes frequent trips to the lake. This lake, one of the finest alpine lakes you will see on the journey, is one of the least explored because it is almost in the centre of the trail. According to legend, the Gadsar Lake’s water and animals have therapeutic properties. The lake is a short distance from the campground.
- Relish your break across the mountainous winds as you start another day of Tarsar Marsar trek. The new day takes you towards Tarsar Lake on a gradient that is moderate. As you walk on the boulders, the river runs giddily beside you. The walk ahead traverses the meadow surrounded by mountains. And the moment that trail comes to an end, you see the ever so gorgeous alpine lake of Kashmir.
Altitude: 3,790 m to 3,945 m | 5 hours| Distance: 5 kms
- The trail on the fifth day of Tarsar Marsar Kashmir trek unveils with a sharp ascend that stays with you for about an hour. You have to climb up to the top of the ridge upon reaching which you come across the mesmerising view of Tarsar Lake. Revel in this bird’s eye view while you are at it. The next few minutes are all about descending from this ridge which is undoubtedly sharp.
- After conquering the fear on the daunting ridge, cross the boulder and savour the moment at a meadow called Silent valley that connects Shekiwas to Sundersar. Indeed peaceful, the valley exhibits lush grass in between a couple of mountain stretches and the land is adorned by river streams and water ponds. After this one terrific walk of the day, head towards the Sundersar campsite to retire for the night.
Altitude: 3,945 m to 3,505 m via Marsar Ridge 4020 m | 7 hours | Distance: 9 kms
- The adrenaline rush kicks in when you step foot around the strikingly beautiful Sundersar Lake. This circular lake is bordered by small mountain tops, exuding a serene symphony. Travel round the lake and traverse a ridge for half an hour to reach the ethereal Marsar Lake. Stand on the vantage point at the highest altitude of your Tarsar Marsar trip and collect the snapshots of the lake. Take the same route back towards Homwas and the artistic trails elevated by boulders and meadows to reach the campsite.
Altitude: 3,505 m to 2,426 m | 6 hours | Distance: 13 kms
- The last day on your Tarsar Marsar itinerary takes you the same trail you mapped during the first two days of your trek. For one more time, look upon the towering mountains, observe the forest’s silence and watch the rivers hurrying their way as you mark your way back to Aru. Upon reaching the location, the cab will take you to Srinagar.
- Expert Mountaineering Guide
- Trek Leader and Support Staff
- First Aid & Oxygen Cylinder
- Sleeping Bag/ Mattresses
- This trek is not recommended for beginners and requires prior experience of trekking.
- Please carry an ID proof and passport size photo (PAN card will not be considered as a valid address proof).
- Kindly read all sections in attachment to know more about the trip.
- Kindly pay full attention to the briefing provided and follow all guidelines as recommended.
- Trekking is to immerse oneself in nature, so please expect basic facilities.
- Package includes vegetarian meals only.
- Airport pickup & drop are not included in the cost.
- Vendor details will be shared post booking. Please co-ordinate with vendor on reporting time & location.
- We will confirm your booking within 24 hours.
- In case of non-availability for the date, our team will get in touch with you to work out best possible dates. Kindly bear with us as this industry does not work with real-time inventory view from vendor partners.
- If you wish to cancel before receiving a confirmation, you will receive 100% refund.
- Full Refund- If cancelled before 7 days of departure
- No Refund- If cancelled by customer less than 7 days of departure.
- If participants are unable to or refuse to go through with the experience at site, no refund will be applicable.
- 100% at the time of booking.
Rescheduling is subject to availability.
Once the cancellation window ends, rescheduling cannot be done.
Each booking allows for a maximum of two rescheduling opportunities. After which, no further changes can be made to the booking.
Any price differences resulting from rescheduling, such as changes in seasonal rates or availability, will be applicable and will be communicated to the customer during the rescheduling process.
In the event that a customer requests a rescheduling but fails to attend the newly scheduled appointment, it will be considered a missed appointment, and our standard cancellation policy will apply
- The season for Tarsar Marsar Trek is from June to October.
- The starting point for this trek is Srinagar. You can reach Srinagar by air or by road.
- The highest altitude of Tarsar Marsar Trek is 13,200 ft above sea level.
- Please read the “What to carry” section on the product details page.
- The difficulty level for this trek is Moderate to difficult. The highest altitude is 13,200 ft. The total distance covered is 70 kms. This is a physically draining trek and is not recommended for beginners. A prior experience of high altitude is required to participate. Participants with any heart condition, Asthma or Blood pressure are not recommended to go for this trek. The trekker must be physically fit and should be able to carry 15-20 kgs of weight.
- This is a Moderate to Difficult trek, Morning jogs and running 30 days before the trip will be helpful during the trek. If you are an experienced trekker, then only you can go for this trek. One should have the strength to carry 12-15 kgs of weight in backpack and be able to walk at higher altitude in minus temperature.
- To gain stamina, you can try Cardio and running along with stretching every day to strengthen your muscles and work on your flexibility. Since it is a physically endearing trek, strength training will also help along with HIIT workouts.
- The total trek distance is 70 kms to be covered in 7 days.
- In case you are sick and not able to complete the trek, you will be sent down to the base camp depending on the circumstances. Kindly note that a refund or reschedule for the same is not applicable. Any extra expenses incurred during this transfer will be borne by the traveler.
- Full Refund- If cancelled before 7 days of scheduled departure.
- No Refund- If cancelled by customer less than 7 days of scheduled departure.
- If participants are unable to or refuse to go through with the experience at site, no refund will be applicable.
- The payment policy is 100% at the time of booking.
- Refunds are subjected to the cancellation policies. All refunds will be processed in 10 business days to the source account.
- In case of extreme bad weather, government restriction or political disturbance, if any activity is cancelled; then the operator will suggest the best possible alternative. However, a cash refund is not applicable. In case of a change in itinerary due to weather, any additional expenses will be borne by the traveler.
- For discounts on group booking, please contact us.